The worst scare of 2012...

And it is not Halloween yet...

Before this, I mentioned briefly about my very irritable tummy. I think it is more temperamental than me, picking up its campaign against food and what not even when I am hungry. So, I decided to go have it checked out with a trusted-sort-of-family-doctor when I get back to Malaysia. 

But as I was busy running around for my wedding preparation, I didn't have the time to go queue up at the clinic. And one day, I happened to come across this (I don't want to tell you what store for fear of repercussion but this much I will say) store promoting healthy organic product. Initially I just wanted to get more info about their bread which contains no preservatives and sugar but at the same time being organic but this salesperson had a chat with me. One thing turned to the other, she told me that they had a machine to test my overall well being. I asked her whether she needs my blood sample, as I am very hesitant to allow people outside the professional and licensed medical institution take my blood for testing and she assured me none was needed. And it costed about RM35 and if I wanted a print of the report, it would cost another additional RM10. Probably my alarm should have rang when I said I don't want a print of the result unless there was absolutely something wrong with me, and she said there will always be one thing or another amiss. 

Ok, I was naivete but at the same time I was desperate for something. I hate that icky-yucky feel of discomfort I couldn't explain and I hate the feeling of bloating. I thought eating something natural, raw and organic would probably strengthen my immune system to stop being a princess. So, I went for the test. 

The test was pretty straightforward. Basically, you hold something of a rod that sends electric pulse or is it magnetic pulse through your body. You can't talk or move during the short procedure which afterwards generate a series of reading for bone density, bone growth, cardiovascular activity, skin moisture content, iron content, calcium content, etc etc... And lo and behold, my results for EVERY single reading was out of range. EVERY SINGLE ONE!! I asked her for a retest but then she insisted that one was enough. 

My face paled. Every single one, you kidding me? I think at that moment, I should have flipped the table on the machine and her and demanded for a refund. Barely a year ago, my blood test reported nothing of this sort. But she said that the range set by them was based on my age, my gender, my height and my weight. And I let myself get scared and upset with the readings that it yield. Probably I should consider it a miracle that with a reading like that, I am still alive and breathing every single day, wtf! (Actually it is a miracle but that's not my point!) But luckily I still had the sanity to postpone buying any of their stuff, and the fear settled in my belly for the night driving my appetite away. 

So the next day, finally driven by fear I decided to give time the backseat and go see my sorta-family-doctor. And I am so glad I went to find him. He tsk-tsked at my story and reminded me that there is no such wonderful test equipment at the moment that can test out all these things with a single touch. If there is, why in the world would there still be blood test and all the other expensive test machines in the hospital waiting for us? And if there is this wonderful test machine that can do that then it would be bloody expensive and why would they have it instead of the hospital? Makes no bloody sense, I know... right? I nodded to his explanation as he explained to me the irregularities of what was presented and finally presented me with gastric medicines for my tummy. Simple, easy and straightforward approach and end to my suffering. 

I wish I have a picture of the slip of paper of results that I stupidly paid RM10 for in the end, I must have left it in the rubbish bin before I packed my stuff back to Perth. The thing is that though my logic was functioning, when you feel something is wrong with you, your mind just raced to the worst case of scenario. I am so glad that I consulted with a trusted and qualified doctor before I invest my money into something that may not work. So I am taking this scare as a lesson to me and I am sharing it as a lesson to all of you. 

And since it is not getting any earlier, Happy Halloween 2012! Hope you have the best enjoyable scare out there! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment