Gardening & I

For starters, I do not have a green thumb.

According to my hubby, I am the anti-green thumb (if that is a thing). Honestly, I could hardly blame him for having this impression. Ever since we moved into our new place, I have been hacking away at weeds and plants. And when I don't hack, I asked my brother to hack it for me or I planned what and how to hack next. To make things worst, I did mention how rewarding it is to hack away all those unwanted stuff. So, I guess I could understand his panic as he morphed into a 'tree-hugger' and prevented my dream of taking over the world, oops, I meant my garden.
A small part of the hack-away

And to make things worse, according to hubby I killed our first ever potted plant in Perth. No amount of defense could get me out of that, unfortunately. Even though I pointed out that the death was more out of negligence rather than a deliberate act to kill it. And the fact that our move plus OUR negligence, not merely mine could have killed it. The bottom line was that it died. D.I.E.D.
My very dead chilli plant


Well, to soothe my now 'tree-hugger' hubby, I needed to take actions. There are several options for me to began rehabilitation of my garden (before I hack everything away).

Option 1: Hire a qualified gardener and get him to hack away all the unwanted stuff and then plant the wanted stuff.
Option 2: Hack away as usual and buy seedlings to plant
Option 3: Hack away as usual and buy seeds to plant

Since I am, according to ah-hem ah-hem... terrible gardener, option 1 and 2 seems more practical but if somehow I accidentally 'killed' the plants again, my pocket's gonna hurt. So I decided to try option 3, the cheap skate method.
My haul from Reject shop

I went to Reject shop to purchase the potting mix and the seeds, so cheap~! only $1.50 per pack~! I actually wanted to grab those small pots for the seeds but then I noted that they look so much like egg trays except with small holes at the bottom. So cheap skate me striked again, I decided to recycle the egg trays at home~! Environmentally friendly, some more~! :P
'
I poked holes at the bottom of the egg tray... clever, right? :P

Filling it up with soil and potting mix 

Ok, at first I was very patient. I watered my seeds every morning with much dedication. *puffs my chest out* but then going into the next week, it was always harder to remember and I end up watering it every other day. My logic was that 'ek, the potting mix looks wet'.

End of week 2, still no more shoot. The tricky part with gardening was that I couldn't go march up to the merchant and demand they give me a refund because 'the seed packet say it takes about 11-13 days to grow and it didn't! I want my money back guarantee!'. I was getting a bit bored with this waiting, seriously. So I conveniently forgot all about it for another 2-3 days. Wait, was it a week? Oopsie...

But just a few days ago, I noted 3 small shoots!! Woo hoo~! Couldn't believe how happy I was. Baby, I am back! I will water you every single day (days that I remember), I crooned at the shoots.

My first few shoots... Yeay~!

However the next day when I watered it, impatience got the better of me. How come I planted so many seeds, only 3 grew into shoots. So, I did what ALL gardeners do (don't tell me I am the only one, I won't believe it!!), I took a long thin wire and I poke at the soil to find all the other seeds. Just you know... ensure that they have enough aeration in the soil and maybe some sunlight and exactly NOT because I was purely exasperated and impatient. And I found 3-5 more really tender young shoots, I was so elated!!

Then I wondered briefly whether the birds would swoop down and gobble up my really young seedlings, and I was tempted to cover up the small ones with soil. *hump* Second thought, might just kill it.

Sigh... I am such a bad gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment