Say my name~!

I think the most annoying thing in my life, apart from the sound of nail screeching against a chalkboard, the sound of someone singing off-key (that brings about headache... REAL headache) and a car alarm screeching non-stop would be someone refusing to pronounce my name properly. 

According to Dale carnegie, the sweetest word in anyone's mind is gonna be their name (unless you have a particularly ugly name la, like maybe if you are named ugly or fugly). At a young age, I have accepted that my name isn't like the most extraordinary nor is it exceptionally beautiful in any way. Not a single super star who shares the same name as me is ever gonna use this name as their stage name or any best selling authors is ever gonna use this name as their pseudonyms. It is just so common that it is boring. My chinese name is worst, it reflects the lack of creativity and ambition my parents have for me. But at least I have a cousin with the same chinese name, so we borne the shame together (*insert evil laughter*). But as I grow up, I realised it isn't the name that represents us but our personality and our life experience that brings meaning to the name. It is alright that I do not have x or z or any of those sexy alphabet in my name, the simpler it is the easier to pronounce, correct a not?

WRONG~! 

Like how hard can it be to pronounce my name? I do not know. In my teenage years, teachers had difficulty pronouncing my name. You know the start of the semester, you have to introduce yourself infront of the class (even though you practically know everyone?)? And every class mate would have no problem in pronouncing my name except the teacher. 

Me: My name is Esther. 

Teacher: Easter. 

Me: No, Esther. Ass... The...r. 

Teacher: Easter.

Me: No... Ass... The... r... 

Teacher: East...er. 

*trolling teacher!!*

This conversation would go back and forth until my friend would tug at my sleeve to indicate that it was  getting kinda awkward, me the student trying to teach the teacher how to pronounce my name. It didn't work. They continue to call me 'Easter' to this very day. 

So persistent was I that once, I received a present from an admirer, he spelt my name as 'Ester'. (I guess the h went on holiday and didn't wanna show up?) I gave him back the present and say, 'that is not me.' That guy was very shy and introvert at that moment, and for me to reject his gift to his face was a massive blow and he hated me immensely afterwards. :P 

It is weird that I am being persistent that people pronounce my name correctly or at least spell it correctly. To me, my name is the preface to getting to know me. If someone can't even pronounce my name correctly or spell my name correctly, how can I even entrust them to know other facts about me correctly?? Because it is just so bloody EASY!! No wonder when other friends say that teacher is their favourite teacher, I was like 'meh...'.

I guess that is the reason I choose such an easy nickname: Jelly. The good thing about having nickname is that I don't get annoyed if you get it wrong, but so far no one gets it wrong making me suspect that those who got my name wrong are major trolls!! 

Yesterday, I went to the health service to get my vac jab. The receptionist didn't want to call me Esther because she was convinced that Esther is my nickname. She went on to convinced me that my name is not on my proper documentation so I shouldn't use it. I know there are plenty of asian students who came to Australia had to give themselves nicknames so it is easier for ang mohs to call them, which are infact NOT in their formal IDs. But woman, I am OLD enough to KNOW when my formal documentation reads Esther or something else, alright? She was so busy lecturing me about ppl giving her nicknames that she didn't notice me telling her to change my address. 

I probably should give her my nickname which would justify the lecture she'd given me. If the health service wasn't so cheap there, I won't have broken my vow never to return there. Oh well, at least the nurse is nice. She gave me a lollie when I said I am afraid of needles. lol... 






No comments:

Post a Comment