My recent read

Usually, I get interested in some topics, I went on and borrowed a lot of books on it. Take an example, the korean language~! I borrowed three books and 1 disc from the library just last month and told myself I need to learn some extra skill. Turns out I didn't have the time or energy to do that even after I return home. I just wanna unwind with a nice game and no reading, thank you very much~!

It is really surprising then, even to me, that I bought three books on skincare from Amazon.
1. How to wash your face by Barney J. Kenet
2. Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann
3. The Japanese Skincare Revolution by Chizu Saeki

I got the notification that I would receive it sometime end of this month to the early of October, but again... surprise~! surprise~! I got book 2 and 3 two weeks ago and book 1 just last week.

Book 2 and 3~!


Book 1~! One week later...

O well, knowing the kind of person I am, I haven't finish all the books yet. But I am in the process of doing it~!!

Chizu Saeki's book was pretty basic and straightforward, so I finish that book first of all. Not a lot of words, more pictures. The second book that I finish is the 'How to wash your face' book. Definitely do not judge a book by its cover. Doesn't talk anything about how to wash your face. But it did gave a good overview of how to care for your skin, hair and nail.

When I first bought these books, I had the intention of learning new ways to pamper and treat my skin. But I soon realize I may have committed some cardinal sins all along. These are some interesting points I learnt:

1. Overwashing your face: Both of these books mentioned that the trend nowadays is overwashing their face. Chizu Saeki related that how some gals think that the key to beautiful skin is by constantly cleaning their face. Go out for a while, wash... Come back, wash... before sleep, wash. Our skin have a natural self-cleaning mechanism which will go to waste if we do not use it to our own good. So, both Barney and Chizu recommended going one day without washing your face. Barney even went so far as to suggest going one day without bathing. Now this is hard, if I were back in my hometown where it is sticky and wet most of the time!! I would totally be shunned.... maybe earning me some solitude space in MRT and KTM. Lol... Anyway, he did come out with better idea than me!! He suggested doing it in winter when you don't sweat that much anyway. (No wonder soo many smelly people during winter!!)

2. Overfeeding your skin: I think I did this very very often, but only coz the media taught me to... Chizu actually suggested taking look at the mirror in the morning after waking up and determining what type of skin care your skin deserve. Instead of (a) lathering and layering every product on your dressing table or (b) sticking to the same old routine. That is me. I only find new stuff to apply to my face and not reduce. Even skin need to rest.

Some key points to look out for:
- Clarity or Bright skin
- Moisturize
- Complexion (Blood circulation)

Just go through the checklist and determine what your skin needs today. After reading this section, I went back to reading my normal beauty bloggers. And honestly I was horrified at how much they layer stuff. One of my fave beauty blogger can apply 3 - 4 toner per video without any indication she removed the previous one. O no....

That is why I say the marketing gimmicks are to be blamed~! I know when I go to the departmental store, some sale girl always like to sell me stuff I don't need. For e.g. eye cream. I have loads of eye cream at home~! I just need sound rest... So some of the sale girls would actually suggest that I layer it on with my old one, coz their product is very safe. Hmm... I have never think twice about it then, but I would now. If I can't memorize every single elements on the periodic table, would I trust this sales person with no chemical background what-so-ever to know which chemicals in their product would or wouldn't react with another?

And to top it off, some of them just wanna meet their sales quota. Some products are formulated for mature skin, but these sale girls just keep selling it to us. Then they scare us with visions of premature aging. Yikes~!

3. Which brings me to the final point for today. If you are soo.. so... so... scared of premature skin aging (like I am). These three books couldn't emphasis more on the importance of sun screen!! Our skin also has a natural immune system call the Langerhans cells. However, these cells slowly deteriorate as we age. Or when exposed to high UVA and UVB rays. So lather on sunscreen, everybody~!

But I haven't finish these books yet. So, till next time~!
XOXO~! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment